Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Stand Here Ironing

I thought that Eudora Wetly did a wonderful job in this story of getting across the emotion of the mother. This is one of the few pieces I've read this semester in which I truly felt connected emotionally. I really felt sad for the mother, who was forced into single-motherhood at an early age and during a difficult economic time in our country's history.

Two of my best friends growing up were raised by single-mothers. Both of their fathers had died when they were young. I got only a small glimpse of how difficult it is on both the mother and the children of a single-mom family. I think this story deals so much with the grief of the mother, that the feeling and emotions of Emily can get lost in the shuffle. We hear about her difficulties, but we don't understand the emotions that lead her to her decisions. I would love to hear Emily's side of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment