Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why I live at the post office

So, it took me about 3 readings to catch everything that was going on in this story. To be honest, it took me that many reading just to understand some of the language the narrator (Sister) was using. I also used an online site with a summary just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

This seems to be a common example of preferential treatment of a younger child over an older child. Since I am the oldest to two kids, I can some what relate to what Sister is going through. It seems as though with most families I know the youngest child, or baby of the family, always seems to get overly protected by the parents. With my younger sister, she could abuse me physically as much as she wanted, but if I laid a finger on her, it was total Armageddon. I guess parents want to make sure the their youngest child to not getting bullied by their older siblings and so the pendulum swings all the way to the other side.

As was true in my house growing up, and in most houses, Stella-Rondo plays the victim card perfectly, even though Sister is the true victim. In fact, I bet if you asked Stella-Rondo, she would tell you that Sister gets all the preferential treatment and she gets the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment